There are a number of global carriers able to provide collection, distribution and delivery into the Nordics (using their own operations or local partners). The main ones are:
UPS - Offers a range of services and delivery times to the Nordics subject to country of origin and the specific destination
• UPS Express Plus – 1 to 2 business days delivery by 09:00
• UPS Express – 1 to 2 business days delivery by 12:00 noon
The example service times above are from the UK.
• UPS Express Saver – 1 to 2 business days delivery by end of day
• UPS Standard – 3 to 5 business days delivery during the day
Fed Ex – Offers two main services to the Nordics with delivery times subject to country of origin and the specific destination:
• International Priority – 1 to 3 business days
• International Economy – 2 to 5 days
DHL – Offers one main service option, namely – Export Express Worldwide – guaranteed delivery by the end of the next possible working day. As an example, from the UK to the Nordics this will typically be the next working day subject to the exact delivery address.
TNT – Offers a range of international services to the Nordics starting from next day by 09:00 subject to country of origin and the specific destination. As an example, from the UK:
• 09:00 Express – Denmark
• 10:00 Express – Denmark and Sweden
• 12:00 Express – Norway and Sweden
• Express – Next day – all countries
• TNT does not offer its lower cost day-defined Economy Express service from the UK to the Nordics
DPD – DPD is particularly of note in the Nordic market because PostNord (the postal service provider for Sweden and Denmark) is a strategic partner and its delivery partner in all four countries. It offers a range of service options to the Nordics with the examples below showing transit times from the UK in business days:
In respect of e-retail deliveries perhaps the two most interesting services are:
• DPD Classic which includes DPD Predict, a pre- delivery advice notification which is a service feature generally welcomed by online shoppers
• DPD Direct which is DPD’s own branded direct access solution (see section – Direct access) offering lower cost consignment + kilo rate pricing, customs clearance, tracking and a returns service for unwanted items.
For its ‘home’ markets of Norway and Finland, Bring provides its home service which offers a fixed price per parcel.
• Before a delivery attempt is made, the recipient is contacted by phone in order to agree the day on which they want their parcel delivered
• Deliveries are scheduled Monday-Friday between 09:00 and 21:00
• If the recipient cannot be reached by phone they will be sent a letter with information regarding their parcel and asked to get in touch to arrange a day and time for delivery.
Posti Group (Finland Post) provide both home delivery and pick-up options for the Finnish ecommerce market. Home delivery services are offered at a price premium in Finland:
• Express Flex – a tracked service for delivery to the customer’s selected address after one or two working days but always by appointment. The customer’s address AND phone number must be shown on the label. If after two call attempts the customer cannot be reached, a call-back request is left and the parcel retained for the week of delivery plus two further weeks before being returned to the sender if not delivered or collected
• Small Item – for parcels up to 2 kilos and 250 x 353 x 30 mm. These will usually be delivered within two weekdays of dispatch, with the normal letter mail. A non-signature service, the item will be left in the mailbox but if it is too large, the customer will have to collect it.
The lower cost option is usually for the customer to collect their parcel:
• Economy – for delivery to the recipient’s selected postal outlet by 16:00 the next working day with collection until 17:00 that day or for two weeks afterwards. The customer is sent an SMS message (or letter if no mobile phone number is provided) advising that the order is available for collection from a dedicated area in their chosen outlet
SmartPost uses Posti Parcel Points – lockers where customers can choose to have their parcels delivered. Some shoppers may already have registered free for the My Pick Up Point option to have all of their parcels delivered to a particular locker location. Currently only available in Helsinki and Utsjoki although the network is being extended.
The delivery operator selected will be able to provide full details and advice on the necessary documentation and processes and some can go further by pre-clearing orders while the goods are in-transit or at the start of their journey using a consumer duty paid process. This can be done using the HTS code assigned to each product category and can reduce delivery times and remove a potential barrier of having the goods held when they arrive in country. Retailers are therefore advised to specifically ask what their chosen delivery partner can do to facilitate customs clearance and duty calculation / collection.